For the sauce
- 100g/4oz White Sugar
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Distilled White Vinegar
- 60ml/2fl.oz. Soy Sauce
- 25g/1oz Tamarind Pulp
For the Pad Thai
- 325g/12oz Dried Rice Noodles, pre-soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Garlic Gloves, crushed
- 4 Eggs
- 325g/12oz Firm Tofu, cut into 12mm/½ inch strips
- 1½ tbsp White Sugar
- 1-½ teasp Salt
- 225g/8oz Ground Peanuts
- 1 teasp ground dried Oriental Radish
- 25g/1oz freshly chopped Chives
- 1 teasp Paprika
- 400g/14oz fresh Bean Sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Make the sauce by placing the sugar in a medium saucepan together with the vinegar, soy sauce and tamarind pulp. Heat over a medium high heat until well blended.
2 . Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add the garlic and eggs and cook, stirring, until the eggs are scrambled.
3. Add the tofu and mix well then add the drained noodles and stir until cooked.
4. Stir in Pad Thai sauce, remaining sugar, salt, peanuts and ground radish. Mix well.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the chives and paprika.
6. To serve - transfer to a heated serving platter and serve with lime and bean sprouts on the side. If you prefer, you can stir fry the bean sprouts in a little oil for 2-3 minutes.
» Thailand Recipes