- 1 whole Fish weighing about 675g/1-1/2 lb
- e.g. Salmon, Sea Bass, Catfish
- Rice or White Wine
- Plain Flour
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce
- 4 Garlic Cloves, very finely sliced
- 1 Green Jalapeno Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Jalapeno Pepper, thinly sliced
- 25g/1oz Onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Freshly chopped Coriander
- 60ml/2fl.oz. Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Freshly chopped Basil
- A little vegetable oil
1. Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180C, 350F AND preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas mark 4.
2. Scale, clean and gut the fish but leave whole. Make three or four diagonal cuts on both sides of the fish and sprinkle with the wine.
3. Place the flour on a large plate and use to coat the fish on both sides.
4. Deep fry the whole fish to seal then transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
5. Meanwhile, place a little oil in a saucepan or wok and heat until very hot. Add the chilies and onions and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the fish sauce, bring to simmering point then stir in the the coriander leaves. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat, and transfer to a sauce boat. Stir in the basil leaves when cool.
7. To serve - transfer the fish to a warmed platter and serve with the sauce on the side.
» Thailand Recipes