- 900g/2 lb Firm white fish e.g. Cod, Hake,
- Haddock, Monkfish - cutlets, fillets or steaks
- 1 teasp Salt
- 1 teasp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 teasp Black pepper ground
- Peanut oil for shallow frying
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 60ml/2fl.oz. Tamarind Sauce
- Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp Palm sugar
- 1/2 teasp Chilli Paste
- 3 tbsp Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Whole Coriander Leaves
1. Rub the fish with the salt, turmeric and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan until hot, add the fish and fry over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
3. Pour most of the oil from the pan leaving about 1 tablespoon behind, add the garlic to the remaining oil and stir fry until lightly browned.
4. Add the tamarind sauce, soy or fish sauce, palm sugar and chili paste, and bring to a boil.
5. Return the fish to the pan and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, basting the fish with the sauce as it cooks.
6. Add the spring onions and simmer for 1 minute.
7. To serve - transfer to a warm serving platter and garnish with the coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
» Thailand Recipes