Phra Narai Ratchaniwet (King Narai’s Palace)
Narai Ratchaniwet Palace is located between Ratchadamnoen Road and Pratu Chai Road, near the railway station. Narai Ratchaniwet Palace was built by King Narai the Great when he decided to make Lopburi the second capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom, the construction took 12 years to be completed (1665-1677) with the contributions of French, Italian and Portuguese engineers. The palace is an awesome mixture of Khmer-European styles. The palace was used for receiving foreign officials and royalty and as a summer retreat for the king. When King Narai died Lopburi including the palace were abandoned. The palace was restored by King Mongkut (Rama IV) in 1856 and converted to a museum in 1924.
Now the whole compound has been turned into the Lopburi National Museum, it has exhibitions of ancient artifacts, Lopburi period sculptures, Buddha images of Dvaravati, Lopburi and Khmer styles and more in different pavilions and buildings of the palace. The museum is open Wednesdays through Sundays 8:30-16:00, closed Monday through Tuesday and national holidays.
Is considered the oldest monument of Lopburi, it was a Hindu shrine built in the 15th century, but it is much smaller than Phra Prang Sam Yot, Prang Khaek consist of three brick prangs constructed without mortar. It has been restored several times; King Narai restored it in the 17th century. It is located near the Phra Narai Ratchaniwet Palace and in the vicinity of the market of Vichayen Road.
Wat Sao Thong Thong
Wat Sao Thong Thong is located on Rue de France to the north of Phra Narai Ratchaniwet. In King Narai's time was used as a Christian chapel, It was restored by King Narai, who ordered the replacement of Thai windows with western-style windows. Later it was converted into a Buddhist temple. Wat Sao Thong Thong features a large settled Ayutthaya-style Buddha image, additionally several smaller Lopburi-style Buddha images can be found on the surrounding walls.
Wat Phra Prang Sam Yot
Located 200 meters from the railway station, is the Lopburi best known landmark. Called the “Temple of Three Prangs”, Phra Prang Sam Yot was built in the 13th century; originally it was a Hindu Shrine, with three adjoining towers signifying the Hindu Trimurti of Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. During the reign of King Narai, the shrine was converted to a Buddhist temple; some Lopburi-style Buddhas remain as evidence of this. The temple is open at 8:00 am until 6:00 pm. The temple is overrun by monkeys.
San Phra Kan
San Phra Kan is located next to Wat Phra Prang Sam Yot, across the railway station. The compound consists of an old Khmer ruin and a new section constructed in 1951, where one can see the famous four-armed deity figure with a Buddha image's head. The shrine is the residence of a troop of monkeys; there are stalls with offerings, food and drink to be dedicated at the shrine, the monkeys eat the food, drink and offerings, monkeys can become offensive to visitors but they appear docile if not provoked.
Vichayen House is located 300 meters from Prang Khaek, built during the time of King Narai the Great; it was a residence for Chevalier de Chaumont, the first French ambassador to Thailand during the reign of Louis XVI. Later the place was occupied by the Greek adventurer Constantine Phaulkon, until he was executed in 1688 during a power struggle. The site has many interesting visible ruins including a Roman Catholic chapel, the residences for the ambassador and mission members, fountains and more.
Wat Nakhon Kosa
Wat Nakhon Kosa is located north of the railway station near San Phra Kan, just north of the train station. The temple was originally built in 1157 by the Khmers. It was a Hindu site before it was made into a Buddhist Wat in the Ayutthaya period.
Wat San Paulo
Wat San Paulo is situated on Ruam Decho Road, approximately 1.5 Kms. east of the town. Originally was a Jesuit Church founded during the reign of King Narai. The name “San Paulo” comes from their Portuguese founders. Wat San Paulo was also the first observatory in Asia.